Friday, 22 October 2010

168 Kevin Rose

Position : Goalkeeper

Played : 1990-91  (on  loan  from  Bolton  Wanderers)  ; 1991-92  to  1992-93

Appearances : (first  spell) 3  (second  spell) 68

Goals : 0

It  was  a  strange  sight  to  see  Kevin  running  onto  the  pitch  at  Carlisle  on  15. 2.91  after  Keith  Welch's  four-year  unbroken  run in  the  side was  ended  by  his  sending-off  at  Hereford  in  January. Kevin  was  brought  in  on  loan  from  Bolton  to  cover  the  suspension. Kevin  started  in  non-league  football  and  was  signed  by  Lincoln  from  Ledbury  Town  in  1979  for  £10,000  (which  paid  for  their  floodlights). In  1980  he  went  back  there  after  failing  to  make  the  grade  and  started  working  as  a  carpenter  but  two   years  later  got  another  crack  at  League  football  with  Hereford. He  still  holds  the  record  for  most  consecutive  League  appearances  there  at  253. In  1989  he  was  bought  by  Bolton  as  understudy  to  Dave  Felgate. When  we  signed  him  he  had  made  more  appearances  on  loan  to  Carlisle  than  in  the  Wanderers's  first  team  and  the  three  games  he  played  for  us  in  1991 (doing  a  decent  job) represented  his  only  League  action  that  season.

The  following  season  he  got  another  chance  at  Burnden  Park  but  unfortunately  made  a  few  howlers  in  his  four  games. When  we  came  calling in  November  after  Gareth  Gray  had  proved unequal    to  the  task  of  replacing  Welchy  they  were  happy  to  sell  him  on  for  £25,000.

Kevin  was  one  of  the  nicest , most  approachable  blokes  to  play  for  Dale  but  he  was  a  pretty  average  Fourth  Division  keeper. He  had  good  and  bad  games  and  adapted  well  when  the  backpass  rule  was  introduced  during  his  tenure. He  is  best  remembered  for  the  Freight  Rover  game  at  Bury  when  he  came  up  for  a  last  minute  corner  after  we'd  had  a  man  sent  off. There  is  a  legend  that  he  scored  but  the  referee  disallowed  it. That  isn't  true. He  did  get  his  head  to  the  first  corner  but  it  was  easily  cleared  with  no  one  suggesting  it  had  crossed  the  line. What  is  true  is  that  his  presence  unsettled  their  defenders  and  undoubtedly  assisted  in  Andy  Thackeray's  scrambled  equaliser.

Towards  the  end  of  1992-93  there  were  mutterings  that  Kevin  wasn't  quite  up  to  it  anymore  and  a  particularly  poor  performance  at  Walsall  may  have  sealed  his  fate. He  got  a  free  transfer  and  went  to  Kidderminster  where  he  garnered  some  attention  during  their  FA  Cup  run  the  following  season.

No comments:

Post a Comment