Friday, 29 October 2010

175 Alex Jones

Position : Centre  half

Played :  1991-92 ; 1992-93  to  1993-94  (initially  on  loan  from  Motherwell)

Appearances : (first  spell)  13; (second  spell)  33

Goals : (first  spell)  0 : (second  spell)  2

Alex  was  the  other  new  centre  half,  signed  that  summer  from  Carlisle  for  something  like  £20,000. He  began  his  career  at  Oldham  making  8  appearances  over  3  seasons  (plus  3  on  loan  to  Stockport)  but  was  released  after  failing  to  appear  at  all  in  1985-86. By  contrast the  following  season  at  Preston  he  was  ever-present  in  their  promotion  side. He  won  their  Young  Player  of  the  Season  award  (as  Alex  was  23  they  were  pushing  it  a  bit  but  I  suppose  with  Frank  Worthington  and  Les  Chapman  in  the  squad  he  did  qualify)  and  a  reputation  as  a  big  centre  back  who  could  play  a  bit  of  football  as  well. He  found  life  in  the  Third  Division  a  bit  harder  and  in  1989  moved  on  to  Carlisle  for  whom  he  made  62  appearances  scoring  4  goals.

Alex  started  the  season  alongside  Alan  Reeves  and  Tony  Brown  in  a  5  man  defence  and  looked  fine  but  after  a  dozen  or  so  games  Sutton  scrapped  the  formation  and  Alex  was  the one  who  was  dropped . Alex  was  very  unhappy  about  this  and  was  soon  sold  on  to  Motherwell.  Eight  months  later  he  came  back on  loan  following  injuries  to  Tony  Brown  and  Paul  Butler  and  soon  signed  permanently  again  describing  his  time  in  Scotland  as  a  "nightmare". However  when  Butler  was  fit  again  he  faced  the  same  problem  that  he  was  third  choice  and  though  he  never  let  us  down  when  he  played  he  just  wasn't  as  good  as  the  other  two. He  is  perhaps  best  remembered  for  his  retaliatory  assault  on  Burnley's  John  Francis  in  the  FA  Cup  in  December  1993  which  earned  him  a  no-brainer  red  card  and  sparked  a  brawl  on  the  pitch. That  was  one  of  his  last  games as  in  the  new  year  he  was  swapped  for  Halifax's  Jason  Peake  and  went  to  the  club  where  his  dad  George  had  once  been  manager. He  later  played  for  Lancaster  City.

No comments:

Post a Comment