Saturday, 30 October 2010

176 John Ryan

Position : Midfield (also  played  at  left  back)

Played : 1991-92  to  1993-94

Appearances : 70

Goals : 2

John  was  signed  for  a  small  fee  from  Chesterfield. He  began  his  career  at  Oldham  where  he  made  a  big  impact  in  Joe  Royle's  first   season as  manager, as  a  raiding  left  back  scoring  8  goals  in  1982-83. This  got  him  a  £200,000  move  to  Newcastle  where  he  played  22  games  in  their  Second  Division  Championship  winning  side. The  First  Division  proved  a  step  too  far  and  John's  career  began  a  slow  downwards  curve. After  6  games  he  was  transferred  to  Sheffield  Wednesday  in  September  1984  but  only  played  8  games  for  them. By  the  beginning  of  1985-6  he  was  back  at  Oldham  where  his  form  was  disappointing  and  he  was  eventually  displaced  by  Andy  Barlow. After  only  appearing  once  in  1986-87,  he  dropped  into  the  lower  divisions with  Mansfield  where  at  least  he  could  command  a  regular  spot  though  more  often  in  midfield. He  had  two  good  seasons  at  Mansfield  then  moved  down  the  road  to  Chesterfield  with  similar  results.

John  was  a  stocky  player  who  mainly  played  on  the  left  side  of  midfield. He  was  one  of  the  most  one-footed  players  we've  had  ; I  remember  my  friend's  dad  suggesting  he  be  fitted  with  a  castor  on  his  right. That  was  the  main  problem  with  him  - he  could  still  put  over  a  good  cross  but  the  laborious  way  in  which  he  got  the  ball  onto  his  favoured  foot  and  lack  of  acceleration  slowed  the  attack  down  and  made  him  largely  ineffective. He  was  passable  in  his  first  season  but  after  turning  30  his  performances  deteriorated  badly  and  when  he  played  full  back  he  was  a  liability. I  recall  a  classic  Sutton  quote  after  his  performance  away  at  Barnet  in  December  1992  "Even  though  he  was  at  fault  for  both  goals  I  thought  he  was  the  best  player  on  the  pitch". We  lost  2-0  by  the  way.

The  arrival  of  Mark  Suart  in  1993  made  him  largely  surplus  to  requirements  and  after  some  whinging  he  was  transferred  to  Bury. He  never  actually  made  a  League  appearance  for  them  and  joined  Stalybridge  Celtic  in  the  summer  of  1994. He  later  played  for  Radcliffe  Borough. He  was  last  heard  of  doing  a  stretch  in  Walton  jail  in  2005  but  I  don't  know  what  the  offence  was.

No comments:

Post a Comment