Thursday, 25 November 2010

201 Mark Stuart

Position :  Winger

Played : 1993-94  to  1998-99

Appearances : 202

Goals : 41

One  of  my  favourite  players  ( and  I'm  not  just  saying  that  because  he  usually  sits  not  far  from  me  in  the  WMG  Stand )  Mark  was  signed  on  a  free  from  Huddersfield   in  the  summer  of  1993. He  started  out   at  Chesterfield  and  became  a  regular in  the  season  they  won  promotion  to  the  First  Division  in  1986. The  following  season  he  scored  ( probably  too  soon  for  his  own  good ) the  most  significant  goal  of  his  career , one  whose  repercussions  still  affect  football  to  this  day. It  was  the  only  goal  in  Charlton's  defeat  of  Man  U.  at  Old  Trafford, a  result which  nailed  the  lid  down  on  Ron  Atkinson  and  brought  a  certain  Scottish  wanker  into  the  English  game. Mark  was  a  regular  for  two  seasons  in  the  First  Division  but eventually  fell  out  of  favour  and  went  to  Plymouth  for  £150,000  in  November  1988   having  scored  28  goals  in  107  appearances. Mark  spent  2  years  at  Home  Park  scoring  11  in  57  appearances  but  again  fell  out  of  favour  and  was  loaned  to  Ipswich  at  the  end  of  the  1989-90  season. Despite  scoring  twice  in  5  games  for  the  Tractor  Boys  he  moved  north  to  Bradford  for  £80,000  in  the  summer. Mark  settled  in  Bingley  but  never  managed  to  establish  himself  as  a  regular  in  the  side  scoring  5 in  29  appearances. After  failing  to  feature  in  the  opening  months  of  1992-93  he  moved  to  Huddersfield  in  November  1992  on  a  free  and  made  15  appearances  for  them  scoring  3  goals.

Mark  made  an  immediate  difference  to  the  side  with  his  tricky  wing  play  on  the  left  and  eye  for  a  goal  which  was  then  celebrated  in  some  style. He  was  also  one  of  our  best  free kick  experts. He  was  one  of  the  few  genuinely  two-footed  players  we've  had  which  made  him  an  unpredictable  and  dangerous  opponent. He  was  also  a  joker  and  led  the  banter  in  the  dressing  room. Of  course  there  was  a  downside  or  he  wouldn't  have  been  playing  at  Rochdale. He  didn't  like  tracking  back  and  could  be  lazy, letting  the  fullback  do  all  the  running   for  him. He  also  had  a  reputation  for  not  liking  "Jack"  i.e. going  missing  in  the  winter. That  certainly  happened  in  his  first  season  but  he  had  a  storming  finish  wth  three  goals  in  the  last  4  games  including  a  priceless  winner  at  Gigg  Lane  (I've  rarely  experienced  such  a  feeling  of  wellbeing as  I  had  on  leaving  that  game ) to  take  us  to  the  brink  of  the  play-offs.

Unfortunately  Mark  had  a  nightmare  of  a  season  in  1994-5  scoring  only  twice  in  31  games  and  finishing  on  a  really  sour  note  when  he  swore  at  one  of  the  EGP   lads  during  a  4-0  hammering  at  Darlington. He  started  the  following  season  on  loan  at  Chesterfield  but  they  didn't  think  him  worth  a  game  and  he  returned  after a  month. That  seemed  to  give  him  the  necessary  kick  up  the  arse  and  he  scored  the  winner  in  his  first  game  back  after  coming  on  as  sub  away  at   Lincoln. From  there  he  inspired  us  to  a  purple  patch  in  autumn  1996  with  great  victories  at  Scunthorpe (where  his  goal  celebration  seemed  to  suggest  he'd  had  electro-shock  treatment )  and  Barnet  where  he  scored  twice. Unfortunately  for  everyone,  he  broke  his  jaw  against  Rotherham  in  the  FA  Cup  in  November  and  by  the  time  he  returned  in  the  new  year  we  were  slipping  badly. Mark's  return  helped  stabilise  the  situation  especially  after  scoring  the  winner  in  an  unexpected  victory  at  Preston.

Mark duly  got  another  contract  and  was  one  of  the  few  "survivors"  actually  rated  by  the  incoming  Grham  Barrow. He  scored  7  in  31  appearances in  1986-7 including , characteristically,  4  in  the  last  3  games  as  Dale  put  in  a  strong  finish. The  following  season  things  started  to  sour  for  Mark  as  he  was  unbelievably   dropped  to  the  bench  in  favour  of  the  right-footed  midfielder (if  he  was  anything)   Mark  Bailey  (a  decision  that  convinced  many  that  Graham  Barrow  didn't  know  what  he  was  doing)  after  a  training  ground  row  with  Barrow's  hatchet-faced  number  2  Joe  Hinnigan. Although  Mark  invariably  came  on  and  indeed  played  in   45  games  that  season, the  damage  was  done  and  he  only  scored  4  goals.

By  the  following  season  Mark's  hair  had  turned  grey  despite  being  only  31  and  in  his  play  he  was also  beginning  to  look  long  in  the  tooth. He  played 19  games without scoring,  leaving  him  tantalisingly  on  99  senior  goals  in  his  professional  career. His  last  appearance  was  in  a  3-0  defeat  at  Leyton  Orient  ( sadly  I  was  absent  due  to  mortgage-induced  penury )  in  March  1999  after  which  he  was  loaned  out  to  Southport. At  the  end  of  the  season  Mark  had  the  option  to  sign  on  for  another  season  but  opted  to  remain  with  Southport  instead  which  was  probably  the  right  decision; it's  hard  to  imagine  him  thriving  under  Steve  Parkin.

Mark  had  two  good  seasons  at  Southport  scoring  12  goals  including  a  televised  free  kick  against  Havant  in  the  FA  Cup  in  2000  before  signing  for  Stalybridge  Celtic  in  2001. His  final  club  was  his  local  team,  Guiseley  FC. He  currently  works  as  a  gym  instructor  in  the prison  service and  attends  most  matches at  Spotland..

No comments:

Post a Comment