Monday, 10 January 2011

254 Neil Edwards

Position : Goalkeeper

Played : 1997-98  to  2004-05

Appearances :  239

Goals : 0

In  contrast  to  the  Lancashire  signing,  Neil's  arrival  from  Stockport  for  £25,000  in  November  1997  took  place  in  record  time. After  the  mauling  at  Chester  on  the  Saturday  Neil  was  in  the  nets to  face  Lincoln  on  the  Tuesday. He  began  his  career  at  Leeds  but  continued  concern  about  his  height  at  5' 9  led  to  a  £5,000  move  to  Stockport  in  September  1991  where  he  immediately  became  first  choice  keeper. He  made  164  appearances  over  5  seasons  fighting  off  a  brief  challenge  from  Matt  Dickins  ( that  must  have  been  difficult )  for  his  place. New  manager  David  Jones  brought  in  Paul  Jones  in  August  1996  and  Neil  was  out  in  the  cold ,  even  more  so  when  Ian  Gray  went  there  the  following  summer.

There  was  some  disquiet  at  the  time  about  the  way  Lance  Key  had  been  treated  but  that  was  quickly  forgotten   as  Neil  immediately  produced  some  top  class  displays  and  proved  to  be  a  great  bloke  as  well. He  kept  a  clean  sheet  against  the  route  one  musclemen  of  Lincoln  (I've  a  feeling  his  debut  was  the  first  I  witnessed  from  my  new  seat  in  the  WMG)  then  three  games  later  put on  an  outstanding  one  man   display  at  Hartlepool  when  the  rest  of  the  team  didn't  seem  to  have  turned  up  and  were  rightly  jeered  off  at  full  time  except  for  the  Welshman. Then  he  started  saving  penalties  - it  seemed  like  we  could  get  away  with  anything  in  the  box  knowing  he  would  save  the  spot  kick.

 In  his  first  three  seasons  he  was  fantastic  then  he  started  picking  up  injuries  and  gradually  his  performances  slipped  down  a  notch  and  his  place  came  under  pressure  from  Matt  Gilks. He  only  made  7  appearances  in  the  2001-02  season  when  we  made  the  play-offs  although  he  played  in  both  legs  of  the  semi-final  against  Rushden. He  reclaimed  his  place  at  the  start  of  the  next  season  but  picked  up  an  injury  in  February 2003  that  was  still  troubling  him  at  the  start  of  2003-04. He  came  back  in  October  and  played  to  the  end  of  the  season. In  2004-05 he  was  still  first  choice  up  to  October  then  lost  his  place  to  Gilks  and  never  got  it  back.

That  summer  he  decided  to  rejoin  Graham  Barrow  at  Bury  on  a  Bosman. He  played  24  games  up  to  January  2006  then  had  to  call  it  a  day,  sadly  conceding  8  goals  in  his  last  2  games. He  now  works  as  a  goalkeeping  coach  at  Bolton.

No comments:

Post a Comment