Sunday, 19 December 2010

225 David Bayliss

Position : Centre  half  (also  played  at  left  back)

Played : 1994-95  to  2001-02 ; 2005-06

Appearances : (first  spell)  185; (second  spell)  4

Goals : ( first  spell )  9 ; (second  spell)  0

We  round  up  1994-95  with  a real  stalwart whose  unbroken  stint  has  only  recently  been  bettered  by  Gary  Jones. Dave  was  a  YTS  trainee,  the  only  real  product  of  the  much-vaunted  youth  policy  "masterminded " by  former  Burnley  winger  Jimmy  Robson. He  was  on  the  bench  for  one  of  Sutton's  last  games  but  made  his  debut  under  Docherty  at  home  to  Barnet  in  April  1992. He  had  a  sound  game  marred  only  by  a  very  harsh  obstruction  decision  against  him  from  which  they  fashioned  an  equaliser  for  a  2-2  draw.

That  was  his  only  game  in  his  first  season  but   he  was  called  upon  almost  straightaway  the  following  year  as  Peter  Valentine  struggled  for  fitness.He  played  28  games  in  his  first  season  as  a  pro  and  acquitted  himself  well. There  was  nothing  fancy  about his  game, he  tidied  up  behind  the  big  man  (he  wasn't  quite  six  foot  himself) , tackled  well  and  wasn't  afraid  to  boot  the  ball  out  of  the  ground  on  occasion.  It  has  to  be  said  that  he  wasn't  a  great  distributor  of  the  ball  but  that's  a  luxury  in  a  lower  division  centre  half.

Dave  had  to  fight  harder  for  a  place  under  Graham  Barrow  who  always  made  sure  we  were  well-stocked  with  centre  halves  but  he  did  like  Dave  for  his  clean  tackling  saying  he  had  thought  it  was  a  dying  art  till  he saw  Dave  in  action. Consequently  he  was  picked  at  left  back  for  the  first  part  of  the  1996-97  season. He  wasn't  as  comfortable  there  - it  exposed  his  woeful  distribution - but  he  stuck  diligently  to  the  task  until  he  was  sent  off  at  Brighton in  January  1997  and  didn't  play  again  that  season  after  his  suspension. He  got more  chances  in  his  correct  position  the  following  season  due  to  the  injuries  to  Alan  Johnson  and  John  Pender  and  scored  his  first  goals, two  in  the  league  and  one, a  deflected  free  kick  winner , in  a  dire  Auto  Wndscreens  game  at down and  out  Doncaster. That  win  was  marred  by  crowd  violence  incited  by  Barrow, not  deliberately  of  course  but  it  was  his  impulse  to  celebrate  a  scraped  win  - over  a  team  full  of  Sunday  League   players  down  to  10  men - with  a  gesture  towards  his  critics  that  sparked  it  off. 1998-99  was  almost  identical  with  Dave  getting  just  under  30  games  as  third  choice  centre  half  or  filling  in  at  left  back  for  the  oft-injured  Dean  Stokes. The  departure  of  Mark  Stuart  in  the  summer  made  him  our  longest-serving  player  at  23.

Dave  got  injured  early  on  in  Steve  Parkin's  first  season  but  once  he  came  back  in  November  he  held  down  a  place  to  the  end  of  the  season, Parkin  appreciating  his  no-nonsense  style. The  following  season  he  finally  broke  the  40  game  barrier  and  might  have  been  ever-present  but  for  11  yellow  cards. His  place  seemed  secure  the  following  season  with  the  departures  of  Keith  Hill  and  Mark  Monnington   but  he  was  injured  in  September  then  Richard  Jobson  was  brought  in  and  Dave  couldn't  reclaim  his  place. It  seemed  crazy  to  me; Jobson  still  had  a  bit  to  offer  but  at  38  it  was  hardly  worth  upsetting  one  of  our  most  dependable  players. Parkin  left  shortly  afterwards  then  Dave  was  allowed  to  join  Luton  for  nothing  after  an  argument  with  caretaker  boss  David  Hamilton. This  was  even  crazier - what  was  the  Board  doing  letting  the  seat-warmer  take  such  an  important  decision ? It  cost  us  dear  at  the  end  of  the  season  when  Jobson  was  found  wanting  in  a  crucial  game  at  Lincoln  then  we  had  to  bring  the  dreaded  Simon  Coleman  on  in  the  play-off  second  leg  against  Rushden.

By  that  time  Dave  had  already  played  against  us  for  Luton  and  been  sent  off  at  Spotland, trying  to  take  out  substitute  Lee  Todd  on  the  way  to  the  tunnel. He  was  part  of  the  team  that  went  up  but  only  made  19  appearances  over  the  next  two  seasons  in  what  is  now  League  One. Having  only  played  in  Cup  games  in  2004-05  he  went  on  loan  to  Chester  in  December  2004  playing  in  both  games  against  us  without  incident  thugh  he  was  sent  off  in  his  final  game  for Chester  in  February  2005.He  didn't  play  again  until  the  following  season  having  joined  Wrexham  on  a  free  in  the  summer. He  started  well  there  but  soon  started  acquiring  cards  again  and  became  available  for  loan  in  the  New  Year. Steve  Parkin  mended  fences  by  taking  him  on  and  he  had  three  good  games  before  Wrexham  cannily  allowed  him  to  play  against  them  at  Spotland. The  gamble  paid  off, Dave  got  his  marching  orders  and  they  went  home  with  a  1-0  win.

That  was  Dave's  last  League  appearance  and  he  joined  Lancaster  City  in  the  summer  of  2006  still  only  just  30. Financial  problems  (they  finished  the  season on  1  point !)  soon  led  him  to  move  to  Barrow. After  a  year  there  he  was  appointed  joint-manager  with  Darren  Sheridan  and  they  have  been  doing  well, winnining  promotion  to  the  Conference  and  hanging  on  in  there  and  capturing  the  FA  Trophy  in  May  this  year. He  is  still  registered  but  doesn't  play  regularly. Who  knows  if   Dave  may   return  once  again to  us  in  the  future ?

No comments:

Post a Comment