Saturday, 5 March 2011

299 Kevin Townson

Position : Forward

Played : 2000-01  to  2004-05

Appearances : 102

Goals : 25

Kevin  was  picked  up  from  Everton's  YTS  in  the  summer  but  didn't  make  an  appearance  until  the  game  away  at  Southend  in  February, oddly  just  two  days  after  Parkin  had  told  a  Fans' Forum  he  wasn't  ready  for  the  first  team. Third-in-command  David  Hamilton  would  subsequently  claim  all  the  credit  for  his  signing.

Kevin  of  course  is   fondly  remembered  and  you  can  still  hear  the  odd  chorus  of  "Who  put  the  ball  in  the  Fulham  net ? "  at  games  but  there  is  a  question  mark over  whether  he  was  really  any  good  or  just  a  brief  flash  in  the  pan who  was  kept  on  too  long. It's  worth  noting  that  no less  than  62  of  Kevin's  appearances  were  as  a  substitute.

At  5'6"  and  just  over  10  stone  Kevin  was  never  going  to  be  a  physical  centre  forward ; he  was  a  penalty  box  nuisance  in  the  Paul  Dickov  mould. He  only  started  one  game  in  his  first  season,  away  at  Hartlepool  where  he  looked  lively  enough  but  the  subsequent  arrival  of  Paul  Connor  pushed  him  back  into  the  reserves.

His  heyday  was  the  following  season  where  he  finished   as  leading  scorer  with  14  goals  despite  again  being  mainly  a  substitute. He  scored  his  first  goal  at  home  to  Exeter  in  August  then  a  month  later  achieved  immortality  with  both  goals  in  our  2-2  draw  at  home  to  Premiership  Fulham  on 11th  September  2001  (why  does  that  date  stick  in  the  mind ? ).  He  also  put  his  penalty  away  in  the  shootout. On  the  back  of  that  he  got  a  call  up  to  the  England  under-19  squad  and  attention  from  Premiership  scouts.  Kevin  never  managed  a  hat-trick  but  got  3  more  braces  that  season  including  the  one  against  York at  home . That  contained  his  most  memorable  goal  where  he  ran  on  to  a  fabulous  defence-splitting  pass  from  Patrick  McCourt  and  slotted  home.

After  that  things  started  to  go  wrong. Kevin  suffered  more  than  most  from  the  mismanagement  of  Paul  Simpson  and  only  started  5  games  in  2002-03  scoring  just  once. There  was  a  suspicion  that  his  exploits  the  season  before   had  gone  to  his  head  but  more  seriously  now  that  his  teenage  energy  had  burned  itself  out  he  was  revealed  as  being  short  of  pace.

He  revived  the  following  year  under  Alan  Buckley  who'd  been  a  similar  type  of  forward  himself  and  knew  how  to  use  him. He  scored  7  up  to  Parkin's  return  finishing  as  leading  scorer  again  with  10. Parkin  however  was  suspicious  of  him, making  a  public  comment  about  him  slacking  off  in  a  game  as  soon  as  he'd  scored  and  Kevin  soon  found  himself  back  on the  bench. His  final  season  with  us was  a  complete  washout. He  was  dropped  after  the  first  home  game  and  never  played  for  us  again  seeing  out  the  season  with  loan  spells  at  Scarborough   and  Macclesfield.

Although  he  didn't  score  for  the  Silkmen  they  were  happy  enough  to  give  him  a  contract  for  the  next  season  but  he  disappointed  again  scoring  just  twice  in  18  mainly  substitute  appearances. Inevitably  one  of  them  was  against  us at  Spotland when  he  skinned  Jon Boardman (OK,  your  grand-dad  could  do that) and   duly  celebrated  in  front  of  Mr  Parkin. He  was  freed  at  the  end  of  the  season  almost  certainly  bringing  his  professional  career  to  an  end. He  moved  on  to  Northwich   but  it was  the  same  story,  just  2  goals  in  44  appearances (23  as  sub). In  2008  he  moved  into  the  League  of  Wales  with  New  Saints  but  didn't  settle  there  despite  scoring  5  in  just  7  games  and  signed  for  Droylsden in  July 2008. A  year  later  he  emigrated  to  Australia  and  played  for  Melbourne  Knights  where  he  won  the  Player  of  the  Year  in  the  Victorian  Soccer  League. Earlier  this  season  he  returned  to  England  and  signed  for  AFC  Fylde.

I  saw  Kevin  in  action  for  Fylde  at  Ramsbottom  a  few  months  back. His  hair  has  grown  out  a  bit  and  he  had  a  decent  game  although  he  didn't  stand  out  as  much  as  you  might  expect  and  missed  his  penalty  in  the  shootout. It's  hard  to  believe  he's  still  only  27.

No comments:

Post a Comment