Thursday, 10 March 2011

304 Matt Doughty

Position :  Left  back  (also played on the  wing)

Played :  2001-02  to  2003-04

Appearances : 108

Goals : 1

It's  hard  to  recall  now  but  Matt  was  the  summer  signing  we  were  supposed  to  get  excited  about, a  young  prodigy  from   Chester  City  who  had  already  had  an  eventful  career. He  missed  the  final  game  of  the  1999-2000  through  being  in  prison  after  a  nightclub  incident  then  he  was  reported  to  be  on  the  cusp  of  joining  Southampton  before  an  inopportune  injury. Chester  hadn't  registered  him  properly  so  we  were  able  to  pinch  him  on  a  technicality.

Matt  was  said  to  be  able  to  play  either  at  left  back  or  on  the  wing  and  he  started  for  us  in  the  latter  position  away  at  Oxford. He  got  off  to  a  flying  start  with  an  impressive  goal  that  made  him  the  first  scorer  at  the  new  Kassam  Stadium  (the  memory  of  the  still  half-frozen  pie  from  that  strange  pub  just  outside  stays  with  me)  though  he  didn't  do  much  else  in  the  game.  Apart  from  that  goal  and  a  good  performance  away  at  Luton  he  was  rather  underwhelming  as  a  winger.

John  Hollins  reverted  him  to  left  back  in  preference  to  Sean  McCauley  and  he  stayed  there  the  rest  of  the  season. He  is  unfortunately  remembered  for  an  untimely  slip   which  let  in  Rushden  for  the winner  in  the  second  leg  of  the  play-off  tie.  He  played  in  nearly  every  game  the  following  season,  flitting  between  the  two  positions  but  was  a  very  average  full  back  and  not  much  use  as  a  winger. At  the  end  of  the  season  the  Board  put  him  in  limbo  leaving  the  new  manager  to  decide  whether  he  was  worth  another  contract, a  fairly  obvious  reflection  of  the  disappointment  he  had  been.

Alan  Buckley  did  keep  him  on , seemingly as  a  stand  by  in  case  Paddy  McCourt  was ,let's  say, not  in  a  condition  to  play  and  he  played  in  most  games  up  until  March  when  Parkin  dropped  him. With  a  neat  symmetry  he  returned  for  the  final  game  away  at  Oxford  before  being  released  in  May  2004. He  didn't  score though.

Bristol  Rovers  were  interested  in  taking  him  on  but  Matt  chose  to  stay  in  the  North  and  went  to  Halifax. He  stayed  there   for  4  years, making  132  appearances  until  they  were  expelled  from  the  Conference when  he  moved  to  Altrincham  (ironically  saved  from  relegation  by  Halifax's demise). He  is  still  with  them  at  the  time  of  writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment