Sunday, 27 March 2011

316 Paul Simpson

Position :  Winger ( also  played  in  midfield )

Played : 2001-02  to  2002-03

Appearances : 42

Goals : 15

John  Hollins's  last  signing  was  a  big  one  , bringing  in  Paul  from  Blackpool  in  March  2002. He  had  already  had  a  big  impact  on  our  recent  fortunes, masterminding  the  crucial  defeat  a year  earlier  that  meant  Blackpool  pipped  us  to  the  play-offs  and  then  humiliating  Matt  Gilks  by  repeatedly lobbing  him  in  the  FA  Cup  tie  just  before  Hollins  was  appointed.

Paul  had  made  his  debut  for  Manchester  City  almost  twenty  years  earlier  but  was  loaned  out  to  Finn  Harps  in  Ireland  before  he  became  a  regular  in  their  Second  Division  side. He  was  regarded  as  a  top  prospect  and  won  England  under-21  caps  but  his  star  seemed  to  fall  a  bit  when  City  were  relegated  again  in  1987. After  121  appearances  and  18  goals  he  moved  to  Oxford  in  March  1988  for  £200,000. Paul  spent  four  years  there  scoring  43  goals  in  144  appearances  before  a  £500,000  move  to  Derby  in  1992,  finally  returning  to  the  top  flight  at  the  age  of  30  in  1996. However  he  only  played  19  games  in  the  Premiership  going  on  loan  first  to  Sheffield  United  then  to  Wolves  who  signed  him  permanently  for  £75,000  in  1997.He  had  scored  48  goals  in  186  appearances  for  County. Paul  spent  three  years  at  Wolves  scoring  6  goals  in  52  appearances  but  featured  less  as  time  wore  on  and  had  a  loan  spell  at  Walsall  before  moving  to  Blackpool  on  a  free  in  summer  2000. They  won  promotion  through  the  play-offs  the  following  year.

Paul  almost  did  the  same  for  us. He  announced  his  presence  with  a  spectacular  long  range  goal  on  his  debut  at  home  to  Plymouth  and  scored  a  total  of  6  in  9  appearances  plus  another  in  the  first  leg  of  the  tie  against  Rushden. Not  surprisingly  he  wasn't  that  fast  anymore  but  the  skill  was  still  there  and  his  composure  when  presented  with  a  chance  was  awesome  - as  my  mate  put  it  simply  - "he  doesn't  miss".

However  talent  comes  at  a  price  and  when  we  didn't  get  through  the  tie  against  Rushden  we  had  an  expensive  player  for  another  year  in  the  Third  Division. Whether  the  Board  had  decided  to  appoint  Paul  as  player-manager  before  the  notorious  fax  terminating  Hollins's  tenure  isn't  known  but  it  was  the  start  of  a  couple  of  years  where  our  fortunes  precipitously  dipped  and  the  Board  didn't  cover  themselves  with  glory.

We'll  cover  Paul's  managerial  fortunes  in  subsequent  posts  but  they  did  have  an  effect  on  his  game  as  a  player. He  started  well  enough  with  a  dead-ball hat  trick  (two  pens  and  a  free  kick  helped  on  its  way  by  Andy  Dibble)  at  Wrexham  in  August  2002, a  game  at  which  I  received  some  stick  for  wearing  pink  shorts (one  of  my  turns, I  guess). However  he  decided  to  start  playing  himself  in  the  middle  which  he  didn't   have  the  legs  for  anymore  and  our  form  suffered  as   a  result. The  pressure  even  made  him  forget  the  rules  of  the  game  on  one  occasion  when  he  put away  the  rebound  after  his  penalty  had  hit  the  post. Being  boss  also  made  him  greedy; in  the  game  at  Boston  in  October  he  kept  trying  to  score  from  inside  his  own  half  to  the  frustration  of  team-mates  and  supporters  alike.

Paul's  days  as  manager  were  numbered  long  before  the  final  game  at  Macclesfield  after  which  the  Board  gave  him  an  option  of  staying  on  if  he  accepted  an  experienced  number  two  in  place  of  Jamie  Hoyland. It  would  be  interesting  to  know  who  they  had  in  mind  but  Paul  refused  and  left  the  club; strangely  he  has  not  made  Hoyland's  a  prerequisite  of  his  subsequent  appointments.

Despite  our  lowly  finish  Paul  got  appointed  player-manager  of  Carlisle  where  he  didn't  endear  himself  to  anyone  with  his  childish  baiting  of  the  crowd  after  scoring  against  us  at  their  place  in  September  2003. His  first  season  ended  with  relegation  to  the  Conference  but  he  then  achieved  back  to  back  promotions  playing  his  final  League  game  at  39  in  May  2006. This  got  him  appointed  at  Preston  but  things  soon  turned  sour  there and  his  subsequent  appointments  at  Shrewsbury  and  Stockport  have  also  ended  in  dismissal.

No comments:

Post a Comment