Friday, 25 March 2011

314 Lee McEvilly

Position : Forward

Played : 2001-02  to  2003-04; 2007-08 (on  loan  from  Accrington) ; 2008-09 ( initially on loan from Cambridge )

Appearances :  (first spell) 85 ; (second spell) 7; (third  spell) 16

Goals : (first  spell) 25 ; (second  spell) 3; (third  spell) 5

Along  with  Steve  Johnson, Lee  is  the  only  other  player  in  this  story  to  have  three  separate  spells  at  the  club.  He was  originally  signed  from  Burscough  United  for  £15,000  in  December  2001 and  inevitably  David  Hamilton  took  the  credit. It's  hard  to  deny  him  that  one  as  it's  unlikely  John  Hollins  knew  where  Burscough  was. Lee  was  working  at  McDonalds  at  the  time  and  allegedly  isn't  the  sharpest  tool  in  the  shed.

Lee  made  his  debut  as  a  sub  in  the  Kidderminster  game  and  put  himself  about  a  bit  as  you'd  expect  from  a  guy  of  his  size. He  got  more  chances  as  the  season  progressed  and  looked  raw  but  promising. While  not  being  particularly  good  in  the  air  he  was  always  a  threat  in  the  box  and  could  move  surprisingly  fast  when  fully  fit. With  Clive  Platt  in  indifferent  form  it  was  speculated  that  "Evil  " would  eventually  displace  him. In  April  he  became  our  first  ever  international  when  he  came  on  for  Northern  Ireland  in  a  friendly  against  Spain (still  his  only  cap) . He  finished  his  first  season  with  4  goals  in  18  appearances  plus  the  opening  goal  in the  play-off  game  at  Rushden  with  a  run  from  the  halfway  line. After  the  game  he  was  attacked  for  this  when  a  scrote  got  on  the  team  coach.

The  following  season  he  was  a  regular  in  the  side  and  ended  up  top  scorer  with  15  goals  although  his  form  was  up  and  down. That  was  the  frustrating  thing  about  Lee ; he  could  play  like  a  pub  player  for  85  minutes  and  then  score  as  in  the  draw  at  Bury  in  December 2002. His  most  memorable  goal  was  the  piledriver  free  kick  at  Preston  which  set  us  up  for  victory  in  the  FA Cup  Third  Round  although  his  most  memorable  game  was  away  at  York  in  April  when  he  went  in  the  nets  for  the  injured  Matt  Gilks  and  did  OK, then  went  upfield  to  take  a  penalty  , scoring  on  the  rebound.

Lee  got  off  to  a  good  start  the  following  season  scoring  4  in  the  first  4  games  but  then  getting  himself  sent-off  at  Lincoln  for  which  he  served  an  extra  suspension  for  continued  misbehaviour  after  leaving  the  pitch. By  the  time  he  returned  Steve  Parkin  was  back  and  seemingly  eager  to  find  fault  with  all  the  players  who'd  been  signed  since  his  first  spell. Lee  was  attacked  for  his  weight  and  sent  on  loan  to  Accrington   while  Grant  Holt  replaced  him in  the  side. He  got  some  more  outings  when  he  returned  , mainly  as  substitute  and  scored  once  more  before  Parkin  released  him.

Lee  signed  for  Accrington  and  was  a  prolific  scorer  in  the  Conference  which  a  year  later  got  him  a  move  back  into  League  football  with  Wrexham. Lee  had  a  decent  goalscoring  record  there  despite  frequent  injuries  including  breaking  both  feet  which  put  paid  to  a  transfer  to  Bradford. Eventually  he  fell  out  of  favour  and  had  his  contract  cancelled  by  mutual  consent  in  July  2007.

He  returned  to  Accrington  but  failed  to  score  in  10  mainly  substitute  appearances. Then  came  his  surprise  return  to  Spotland  on  a  two-month  loan during  which  he  scored  on  his  second  debut  and  against  Wrexham   helping  us  to  maintain  our  promotion  push. He  made  one  more  appearance  for  Stanley  then  went  on  loan  to  Cambridge and  helped  them  to  the  Conference  play-offs  scoring  both  goals  in  the  semi-final  first  leg.

He  signed  a  permanent  2  year  deal  in  the  summer  and  was  doing  well  until  another  sending-off  for  violent  conduct  in  October. Shortly  afterwards  he  made  yet  another  return  to  us  and  after  scoring  twice  in  his  third  game  at  home  to  Shrewsbury  he  was  awarded  an  18-month  contract, one  of  Keith  Hill's  more  baffling  decisions. He  soon  came  to  regret  it  as  Lee  seemed  to  lose  control of  his  weight   leaving  a  big  dent  in  the  pitchside  snow  when  he  scored  at  Chester. He  saw  the  season  out  on  loan  at  Barrow  scoring  once  and  picking  up  another  red  card  in  6 appearances.

Lee  was  placed  on  the  transfer  list  but  agreed  to  leave  the  club  before  last  season  started  and  signed  for  Grays  Athletic. After  picking  up  an  injury  pre-season  he  left  in  November  2009  without  ever  playing  for  them. He  had  a  short  spell  with  Marine  then  went  back  to  Barrow  scoring  the  equaliser  with  his  first  touch  afer  coming  on  in  the  2010  FA  Trophy  Final. That  was  his  last  game  for  them  as  he  moved  on  to  Sligo  Rovers  then  returned  to  Burscough  in  November. Last  month  he  signed  for  Droylsden  and  at  28  is  doubtless  good  for  a  few  more  clubs  yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment