Saturday, 2 April 2011

321 Ian Bishop

Position : Midfield

Played : 2002-03

Appearances : 8

Goals : 0

Ian  was  signed  at  the  end  of  August. He  was  a  free  agent  having  just  played  a  few  games  for  Barry  Town. One  of  the  biggest  names  to  sign  for  Dale  in  recent  years  "Bish" started  out  at  Everton  but  only  made  one  appearance before  a  £15,000  transfer  to  Carlisle  in  1984. He  was  one  of  the  two  players  sent  off  when  they  infamously  beat  us  with  9  men  in  1987. After  132  appearances  and  14  goals  he  moved  to  Bournemouth  for  £35,000  in  1988  but  after  just  one  season  he  was  signed  by  Manchester  City  for  £465,000. He  played  and  scored  in  the  5-1  defeat  of  United. He  became  embroiled  in  controversy  when  team-mate  Trevor  Morley  was  stabbed  by  his  wife  and  a  rumour  (later  attributed  by  Morley  to  his  wife) arose  that  she  had  found  the  two  players  in  bed  together. Shortly  afterwards new  manager  Howard  Kendall  exchanged  both  players  for  Mark  Ward  from West  Ham. The  Hammers  got  the  better  end  of  the  deal  as  Ian  alone  made  255  appearances  (12  goals) and  won  a  reputation  as  one  of  the  best  uncapped  players  in  the  top  flight. In  March  1998  Ian, now  32, returned  to  City  on  a  free  but  couldn't  prevent  their  relegation  to  the  First  Division. He  then  helped  them  to  back-to- back  promotions  but  like  Richard  Jobson  was  thought  to  be  too  old  for  the  Premiership  and  after  a  handful  of  games  moved  to  the  USA  with  Miami  Fusion  in  March  2001. That  ended  in  tears  a  year  later  when  Miami  released  him  and  Ian  sued  them  and  lost  amid  bitter  recriminations. He  returned  to  the  UK.

Ian  almost  made  the  most  spectacular  debut  of  all  time  when  he  came  on  at  home  to  Southend.
We  had  just  won  a  corner  and  Ian  was  ambling  towards  the  box  when  it  was  taken. It  was  headed  out  to  him  and  he  hit  a  thirty  yard  first  time  volley  which  flashed  just  wide  of  the  post.
The  following  game  away  at  Carlisle  he  started  and  was  applauded  by  both  sets  of  fans  when  he  went  off. Other  than  that  his  short  stay  was  a  bit  disappointing; there  were  moments  of  class  but  it  was  doubtful  whether  at  37  he  was  still  capable  of  a  full  90  minutes. Simpson  only  offered  him  non-contract  terms  and  he  walked  to  take  up  a  player-coach  role  at  Burscough.

That  failed  to  materialise  and  he  was  soon  playing  for  Radcliffe  Borough  before  another  chance  in  America  came  along  and  he  signed  for  New  Orleans  Shell  Shockers. He  retired  in  2004  and  now  runs  a  soccer  academy  in  Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment